The Meadows Museum at Southern Methodist University now has its sixth work by Francisco Goya, the newest one an important late oil painting by the Spanish Romantic master, a portrait of the artist’s grandson. The painting will be unveiled tomorrow morning.
Although the Meadows Museum didn’t reveal the purchase price, the Dallas Morning News reports that the painting appeared at auction at Sotheby’s New York in January with an estimate of $6 million to $9 million. The acquisition was financed through the Meadows Foundation and Eugene McDermott Foundation, in honor of the Museum’s 50th anniversary.
also by Paula Newton
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017
- It’s Just Macaroni and Cheese: Arts Funding to be Burned! - March 16th, 2017
- Spooky Springtime History in the Panhandle - March 15th, 2017