The Meadows Museum at Southern Methodist University now has its sixth work by Francisco Goya, the newest one an important late oil painting by the Spanish Romantic master, a portrait of the artist’s grandson. The painting will be unveiled tomorrow morning.
Although the Meadows Museum didn’t reveal the purchase price, the Dallas Morning News reports that the painting appeared at auction at Sotheby’s New York in January with an estimate of $6 million to $9 million. The acquisition was financed through the Meadows Foundation and Eugene McDermott Foundation, in honor of the Museum’s 50th anniversary.
also by Paula Newton
- The Solar Eclipse in Art - August 21st, 2017
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017