The Meadows Museum at Southern Methodist University now has its sixth work by Francisco Goya, the newest one an important late oil painting by the Spanish Romantic master, a portrait of the artist’s grandson. The painting will be unveiled tomorrow morning.
Although the Meadows Museum didn’t reveal the purchase price, the Dallas Morning News reports that the painting appeared at auction at Sotheby’s New York in January with an estimate of $6 million to $9 million. The acquisition was financed through the Meadows Foundation and Eugene McDermott Foundation, in honor of the Museum’s 50th anniversary.
also by Paula Newton
- Happy Birthday, Dada! - February 5th, 2016
- Dallas Art Advocate June Mattingly (1932-2016) - February 4th, 2016
- Artpace Announces a Power Trio of Artists-in-Residence - February 3rd, 2016
- Toby Kamps Appointed Spotlight Curator for Frieze - February 2nd, 2016
- Rienzi’s Founding Director to Retire - February 1st, 2016