The State Fair of Texas begins tomorrow and, at 2 pm, the brand new Big Tex will be unveiled. The 52-foot tall sculpture that had been greeting fairgoers for 60 years caught fire last October. While the sight of the tall Texan in flames was surrealistically spectacular, it left many in mourning. The new Big Tex has got some big cowboy boots to fill.
If the anticipation of eating fried everything and thought of a 4,000 pound butter sculpture (also on display at the fair) doesn’t make you dizzy, take a look at the weird video that the fair posted on YouTube. (Re)Building an Icon: Designing Big Tex’s Hands should be required viewing for all beginning art students in Texas:
also by Paula Newton
- Solange Knowles + Donald Judd = Love Songs - August 23rd, 2017
- Houston Nonprofits Join the Coalition Against Hate - August 22nd, 2017
- The Solar Eclipse in Art - August 21st, 2017
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017