A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- Lucas Museum and Don Bacigalupi Ditch Chicago and Look to California - June 29th, 2016
- Fluxus Co-Founder Ben Patterson Dies at 82 - June 28th, 2016
- Spend Your Holiday Weekend in Rockport! - June 27th, 2016
- Maxwell Anderson Takes a Second Job - June 24th, 2016
- 7 TX Public Art Works Nationally Honored - June 23rd, 2016