A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- Punk Rocker Mark Flood to Get Classical Treatment Tonight - May 5th, 2016
- Houston Art Fair Loses a Word and Gains an Attitude - May 4th, 2016
- Fire at SA’s Casa Chuck! - May 3rd, 2016
- Houston Artist Padaric Kolander Wins 2016 Hunting Art Prize - May 2nd, 2016
- Bayou City Art Festival is Going to be a Soggy One - April 29th, 2016