A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- Filmmaker Jonathan Demme, 1944-2017 - April 27th, 2017
- What They Don’t Teach You in Art School - April 26th, 2017
- University Art Students: Sell Your Work On New Online Platform - April 25th, 2017
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017