A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- Rauschenberg Foundation Expands SEED Program to Include Houston and Two Groups Win Big! - August 24th, 2016
- Houston Fringe Fest Returns! - August 23rd, 2016
- New Rules! Lawndale Mixes It Up For This Year’s Retablo Show - August 22nd, 2016
- El Paso Artist Opens His Kosher Taco Art Project For One Night - August 19th, 2016
- The Last Ten Days of Austin’s Changarrito Project - August 18th, 2016