A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- It’s Hot! Time for Some Ice Cream Art! - July 29th, 2016
- Dead Dog’s Eyeballs! There’s a New Graphic Bio on Daniel Johnston - July 28th, 2016
- Where is Ana Mendieta? In Dallas! - July 27th, 2016
- Houston Artists! Get Ready for Art Market Season - July 26th, 2016
- Punk Out at the CAMH with the Mydolls - July 25th, 2016