A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- SXSE: Beaumont Is a Boomtown of Film & Music - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get A Studio and Stipend from Lawndale - February 16th, 2017
- Art Historian Picked for a Top National Security Advisor - February 15th, 2017
- Austin Has OUTsiders and No Idea! - February 14th, 2017
- Nerd Alert: Art Plus Science is the New Big Thing! - February 13th, 2017