A new round of artists have joined the Galveston Artist Residency (GAR) for the 2013-2014 program. GAR was established to give intense studio time to emerging and established visual artists, giving consideration to “artists who are involved in non-commercial endeavors, environmental or sustainable living projects or projects that can increase community involvement or social awareness.” Previously, the artists were chosen through a nomination process; this was the first time the relatively new program held an open call for residents. Selected artists for this year’s 11-month residency are John Hodany, Autumn Knight and Joe Joe Orangias. GAR artists receive a studio, an apartment, a monthly stipend and the use of a bicycle for tooling around the island.
also by Paula Newton
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017