More than 40 institutions will participate in tomorrow’s 16th annual Austin Museum Day. There will be free admission to all participating museums and most will have special activities and presentations for the day.
The Contemporary Austin will be showing off its newly commissioned art by Liam Gillick and Marianne Vitale and the Blanton and Mexic-Arte will offer some hands-on art activities. But there are some pretty interesting presentations at other institutions: the Texas Department of Public Safety Historical Museum will host “Get-A-Clue,” an information-based scavenger hunt to learn how DPS responds to disasters and dangers; the Austin Facial Hair Club will be on hand at the O. Henry Museum to pay homage to O. Henry’s handlebar mustache; and the Austin History Center will have a presentation called “How to Prepare a Possum: 19th Century Cuisine in Austin.”
also by Paula Newton
- Solange Knowles + Donald Judd = Love Songs - August 23rd, 2017
- Houston Nonprofits Join the Coalition Against Hate - August 22nd, 2017
- The Solar Eclipse in Art - August 21st, 2017
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017