Those mourning the final loss of any remnant of Hannah Montana (as in Doc-Martins-stomping-out-a-cigarette final loss, as in the-wood-chipper-getting-rid-of-all-the-evidence final loss) may have missed the real newsworthy appearance in the most talked about performance of last night’s MTV VMA Awards: this “shout out” (i.e. death knell) to fine art!
Picasso has finally made it to the masses in bad piñata form, hailed as a symbol of celebrated luxury and excess (alongside gold watch, champagne bottle, and platinum credit card). Even with all of the posturing hunks and gyrating dancers in the house, this pathetic remake of Seated Woman with Wrist Watch (1932) was the most desirable thing on stage. (Can I bid on that with my gigantic fake credit card?)
also by Paula Newton
- Last Weekend to See Big Texas Butter Sculpture - October 21st, 2016
- Houston Architects Name Artist of the Year - October 20th, 2016
- Another Houston Artist Hits the Small Screen - October 19th, 2016
- Artist to Create Sculpture from Guy Clark’s Ashes - October 13th, 2016
- Artists as Human Beings on TV - October 11th, 2016