Those mourning the final loss of any remnant of Hannah Montana (as in Doc-Martins-stomping-out-a-cigarette final loss, as in the-wood-chipper-getting-rid-of-all-the-evidence final loss) may have missed the real newsworthy appearance in the most talked about performance of last night’s MTV VMA Awards: this “shout out” (i.e. death knell) to fine art!
Picasso has finally made it to the masses in bad piñata form, hailed as a symbol of celebrated luxury and excess (alongside gold watch, champagne bottle, and platinum credit card). Even with all of the posturing hunks and gyrating dancers in the house, this pathetic remake of Seated Woman with Wrist Watch (1932) was the most desirable thing on stage. (Can I bid on that with my gigantic fake credit card?)
also by Paula Newton
- And the Houston Artist Town Halls Keep Coming! (This One has a Panel, a Performance, Cops, and Beer) - June 27th, 2017
- Houston Mayor Calls on Artists to Make a Place - June 26th, 2017
- Denton’s Paul Voertman, 1929-2017 - June 23rd, 2017
- Homo Artists Unite! - June 22nd, 2017
- Body Art and Chicken Wings - June 21st, 2017