Those who may suspect that the artists chosen for the 2013 Texas Biennial might just be flukes can check out two exhibitions this weekend to decide if past participants have any staying power. On Friday night, Lawndale Art Center in Houston will present the Texas Biennial Invitational: Christie Blizard, Marcelyn McNeil, Tom Orr and Brad Tucker, featuring current works by four past biennial artists (two of whom were also selected this year). On Saturday night, New and Greatest Hits: Selected Work by Texas Biennial Artists 2005-2011, featuring current work by 26 past biennial artists, will open at Big Medium in Austin.
The actual 2013 Texas Biennial group survey exhibition will open September 5 at San Antonio’s Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum.
also by Paula Newton
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017