Those who may suspect that the artists chosen for the 2013 Texas Biennial might just be flukes can check out two exhibitions this weekend to decide if past participants have any staying power. On Friday night, Lawndale Art Center in Houston will present the Texas Biennial Invitational: Christie Blizard, Marcelyn McNeil, Tom Orr and Brad Tucker, featuring current works by four past biennial artists (two of whom were also selected this year). On Saturday night, New and Greatest Hits: Selected Work by Texas Biennial Artists 2005-2011, featuring current work by 26 past biennial artists, will open at Big Medium in Austin.
The actual 2013 Texas Biennial group survey exhibition will open September 5 at San Antonio’s Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum.
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017