People have been posing in front of the Greetings From Austin mural on South First Street since it was painted 15 years ago. Neighbors see it as a community landmark and have decided that it is time to restore the deteriorating mural to its original state. (Actually, they are attempting to raise $10,000 for the project, so let’s hope they aim for better than its original state so it lasts longer than 15 years.)
The mural is painted on the side of the Roadhouse Relics Gallery, owned by neon artist Todd Sanders, one of the original postcard painters. Now Sanders, the Bouldin Creek Community, and the nonprofit Creative Action, an organization focused on arts education for children, are partnering to restore the iconic mural.
also by Paula Newton
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017