The Dallas News real estate editor reports that a large, coveted downtown plot of land has been purchased with the intent of building a South Asian museum and cultural center. A foundation established by Dr. Vinay Jain has purchased the 4.7-acre property, now a parking lot, at Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Field Street, across the freeway from the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science.
Jain and his wife, Kanika, are active in philanthropic and cultural organizations in North Texas. “The community of Indians is getting to the point they have accumulated wealth,” Dr. Jain said. “Now there is an opportunity to contribute back to the community.” The foundation is now working with consultants on the project, which is expected to take at least two years, although Jain’s wife doubts that time frame. “I don’t think it will be two years,” she says. “Vinay likes to do things quickly, and he always has multiple things going on.”
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Nonprofits Join the Coalition Against Hate - August 22nd, 2017
- The Solar Eclipse in Art - August 21st, 2017
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017