The Dallas News real estate editor reports that a large, coveted downtown plot of land has been purchased with the intent of building a South Asian museum and cultural center. A foundation established by Dr. Vinay Jain has purchased the 4.7-acre property, now a parking lot, at Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Field Street, across the freeway from the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science.
Jain and his wife, Kanika, are active in philanthropic and cultural organizations in North Texas. “The community of Indians is getting to the point they have accumulated wealth,” Dr. Jain said. “Now there is an opportunity to contribute back to the community.” The foundation is now working with consultants on the project, which is expected to take at least two years, although Jain’s wife doubts that time frame. “I don’t think it will be two years,” she says. “Vinay likes to do things quickly, and he always has multiple things going on.”
also by Paula Newton
- Memorial Weekend: Oragami, Peace, and Granted Wishes! - May 27th, 2016
- More Projected Art! This Time in Dallas - May 26th, 2016
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016
- Austin: The People Speak! - May 24th, 2016
- Aurora/Menil BYOB Rescheduled Date (Maybe) - May 23rd, 2016