If El Paso has an inferiority complex about its art scene and its cultural history, the El Paso Illustrator Collective (EPIC) wants to turn that all around with a little art therapy. On July 25-27, they will present “Southwest Iconica: El Paso,” a show featuring artistic representations of some of El Paso’s best-known celebrities at the city’s 2nd Floor Gallery.
In an interview with whatsuppub.com, EPIC co-founder Manny Martinez, discusses the local scene. “Some people tell me there’s nothing to do here, there’s no big art scene, no big music scene,” he said. “It’s still growing; it’s still a work in progress, if you will. A lot of people don’t have enough patience for it.”
Who are these inspirational El Paso icons represented by the artists? EPIC cites a partial list: “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry, retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, and Eddie Guerrero of the WWF.
“There are a lot of people that are discouraged and want to move to a different town where the art scene is already made,” says Martinez, “but you have to start somewhere. You have to get people that are motivated enough to do it.”
also by Paula Newton
- Huge Public Art Project in SATX Down to Four Finalists - August 26th, 2016
- Contemporary Art for Dogs! - August 25th, 2016
- Rauschenberg Foundation Expands SEED Program to Include Houston and Two Groups Win Big! - August 24th, 2016
- Houston Fringe Fest Returns! - August 23rd, 2016
- New Rules! Lawndale Mixes It Up For This Year’s Retablo Show - August 22nd, 2016