Artist Patrick Renner and the Art League Houston held a “Funnel Tunnel Painting Party” on Saturday and, in spite of some early-day ominous skies, tons of folks showed up to help paint strips of wood for Renner’s upcoming public art project. The Art League commissioned the Funnel Tunnel, a 180-foot long, woven “trumpet” made from reclaimed lumber, which will snake down the median on Montrose Blvd.
Renner was overjoyed at the community support. “There was wonderful effort and a variety of creative expressions; it really exceeded my expectations of how the painted strips would look,” said the artist. “I can’t wait to get the structure up and weave them in.” If you missed the party, Renner hints that there may be other opportunities: “I will probably need a bunch more strips painted.”
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017