Houston METRO is on the way to adding three new light-rail lines currently under construction (with two more in the works). Through its “Arts in Transit” program, each of the 24 new light-rail stations—set to open in 2014—will showcase original artwork from 14 artists, 11 from the Houston area.
The Architecture Center of Houston will highlight the artists’ renderings and images of the projects, and the unique architectural elements of each station, in an exhibition on view August 8-September 20. Meanwhile, check out METRO’s descriptions and sketches from the commissioned artists listed below:
Ryan Geiger (Houston), Mary Lucking (Tucson, AZ), Jesse and Josef Sifuentes (Houston), Dan Havel (Houston), Paul Kittelson (Houston), Arielle Masson (Houston), Leticia Huerta (Helotes, TX), Rolando Briseno (San Antonio), Dixie Friend Gay (Houston), Carroll Parrott Blue (Houston) and Sharon Johnston, A.I.A (Los Angeles), Dan Havel (Houston), Jesse Lott (Houston), Floyd Newsum (Houston), Sharon Englestein and Aaron Parazette (Houston), and John Runnels (Houston).
also by Paula Newton
- This Week: Houston! Next Week: Marfa! - September 30th, 2016
- Houston’s Smither Park Officially (Re)Opens - September 29th, 2016
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016