The Houston Arts Alliance (HAA) is sponsoring a photography contest that should serve to get all local nonprofit arts organizations to support its latest temporary art installation The Blue Trees. Last March, artist Konstantin Dimopoulos and more than 200 volunteers colored the trunks of the crepe myrtles at Waugh Drive between Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway and, now that the trees are in full bloom, HAA has initiated the The Blue Trees In Bloom Photo Contest, which will run from July 3-August 14.
Entrants are invited to post their saturated blue-and-pink photos on Instagram or Twitter and each week’s most popular posts will be eligible for the grand prize of $2,500 to be given to a nonprofit arts organization (within the 12-county Greater Houston area) of the photographer’s choice. So, be careful driving around the Allen Parkway area and keep an eye out for all those shutter-snapping summer interns!
also by Paula Newton
- Lisa Cooley Gallery is Now Closed - August 29th, 2016
- Huge Public Art Project in SATX Down to Four Finalists - August 26th, 2016
- Contemporary Art for Dogs! - August 25th, 2016
- Rauschenberg Foundation Expands SEED Program to Include Houston and Two Groups Win Big! - August 24th, 2016
- Houston Fringe Fest Returns! - August 23rd, 2016