Señorita Cinema, the Texas All Latina Film Festival, founded by Houston filmmaker Stephanie Saint Sanchez, is back! If you missed last night’s opening night screening, there are still more events to check out this weekend.
At 4:30 Saturday at Ripley House, there will be a Video Poetry workshop, led by artists/activists Liana Lopez and Stalina Villarreal. From 6-10 p.m., there will be a screening of the Super Shorts Showcase, an awards ceremony, food and drink, and party music by Cancega Xicanas Unidas, with a special set by super DJ Desi.
On Sunday at 1:30 p.m. at 14 Pews, the Señoritas will screen Homebound (2013, 105 minutes). Houston’s own (and first!) poet laureate Gwendolyn Zapeda will introduce the film’s director and writer Fanny Veliz.
The workshop is pay-what-you-can, but space is limited. The Shorts Showcase/Awards Cermony/Afterparty is $10, as is the Sunday film screening.
also by Paula Newton
- Study Reveals That Museums Show More Contemporary Art Than Ever - March 30th, 2017
- Houston Artists: Learn How to Get Money, or Put Your 2¢ In - March 29th, 2017
- Outsider Artsmarter Working From the Inside - March 28th, 2017
- Finally! News for Cats - March 27th, 2017
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017