Señorita Cinema, the Texas All Latina Film Festival, founded by Houston filmmaker Stephanie Saint Sanchez, is back! If you missed last night’s opening night screening, there are still more events to check out this weekend.
At 4:30 Saturday at Ripley House, there will be a Video Poetry workshop, led by artists/activists Liana Lopez and Stalina Villarreal. From 6-10 p.m., there will be a screening of the Super Shorts Showcase, an awards ceremony, food and drink, and party music by Cancega Xicanas Unidas, with a special set by super DJ Desi.
On Sunday at 1:30 p.m. at 14 Pews, the Señoritas will screen Homebound (2013, 105 minutes). Houston’s own (and first!) poet laureate Gwendolyn Zapeda will introduce the film’s director and writer Fanny Veliz.
The workshop is pay-what-you-can, but space is limited. The Shorts Showcase/Awards Cermony/Afterparty is $10, as is the Sunday film screening.
also by Paula Newton
- Punk Rocker Mark Flood to Get Classical Treatment Tonight - May 5th, 2016
- Houston Art Fair Loses a Word and Gains an Attitude - May 4th, 2016
- Fire at SA’s Casa Chuck! - May 3rd, 2016
- Houston Artist Padaric Kolander Wins 2016 Hunting Art Prize - May 2nd, 2016
- Bayou City Art Festival is Going to be a Soggy One - April 29th, 2016