Everyone’s favorite art critic/grumpus Dave Hickey called Norman Rockwell “the last great poet of American childhood, the Jan Vermeer of this nation’s domestic history.” This week the McNay will open Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera (Tuesday night for members; Wednesday for the general public).
In conjunction with the exhibition, the McNay will also present Rockwell Sings America on Thursday and Sunday. While Hickey has been known to bust out in song over art (ask Dallas-native artist Nic Nicosia about those tunes!), this will be presented by the Allegro Stage Company, asking the audience to “sing along to American favorites,” as part of San Antonio’s Broadway Reach Community Weekend.
also by Paula Newton
- Bayou City Art Festival is Going to be a Soggy One - April 29th, 2016
- Learn to Paint Like the President. Maybe Better. - April 28th, 2016
- Historic Cafeteria/Art Gallery Destroyed by Fire - April 27th, 2016
- Performance Art Takes Over Houston in a Big Way! - April 26th, 2016
- Love is for Everyone, Says Lubbock: Now Only $24! - April 25th, 2016