Everyone’s favorite art critic/grumpus Dave Hickey called Norman Rockwell “the last great poet of American childhood, the Jan Vermeer of this nation’s domestic history.” This week the McNay will open Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera (Tuesday night for members; Wednesday for the general public).
In conjunction with the exhibition, the McNay will also present Rockwell Sings America on Thursday and Sunday. While Hickey has been known to bust out in song over art (ask Dallas-native artist Nic Nicosia about those tunes!), this will be presented by the Allegro Stage Company, asking the audience to “sing along to American favorites,” as part of San Antonio’s Broadway Reach Community Weekend.
also by Paula Newton
- SXSE: Beaumont Is a Boomtown of Film & Music - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get A Studio and Stipend from Lawndale - February 16th, 2017
- Art Historian Picked for a Top National Security Advisor - February 15th, 2017
- Austin Has OUTsiders and No Idea! - February 14th, 2017
- Nerd Alert: Art Plus Science is the New Big Thing! - February 13th, 2017