Everyone’s favorite art critic/grumpus Dave Hickey called Norman Rockwell “the last great poet of American childhood, the Jan Vermeer of this nation’s domestic history.” This week the McNay will open Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera (Tuesday night for members; Wednesday for the general public).
In conjunction with the exhibition, the McNay will also present Rockwell Sings America on Thursday and Sunday. While Hickey has been known to bust out in song over art (ask Dallas-native artist Nic Nicosia about those tunes!), this will be presented by the Allegro Stage Company, asking the audience to “sing along to American favorites,” as part of San Antonio’s Broadway Reach Community Weekend.
also by Paula Newton
- Architects’ Pigs Could Fly in Just in Time for Trump Proposals - December 8th, 2016
- ALH Artists Inspire Latest Version of Debtfair at Whitney Biennial - December 7th, 2016
- Judd Foundation Releases More Judd Writings - December 2nd, 2016
- And Speaking of Space - December 1st, 2016
- SXSW+Art! - November 30th, 2016