Everyone’s favorite art critic/grumpus Dave Hickey called Norman Rockwell “the last great poet of American childhood, the Jan Vermeer of this nation’s domestic history.” This week the McNay will open Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera (Tuesday night for members; Wednesday for the general public).
In conjunction with the exhibition, the McNay will also present Rockwell Sings America on Thursday and Sunday. While Hickey has been known to bust out in song over art (ask Dallas-native artist Nic Nicosia about those tunes!), this will be presented by the Allegro Stage Company, asking the audience to “sing along to American favorites,” as part of San Antonio’s Broadway Reach Community Weekend.
also by Paula Newton
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017