Developed to coincide with the DMA’s DallasSITES project, which surveys 50 years of contemporary art in Dallas, the exhibition Made in Oak Cliff features the early ’70s work of the Oak Cliff 5 (sometimes 4) group, who were instrumental in making the DFW area a major art center. It should be a nostalgia-fest for older artists and a historical reminder to young artists that they actually may not have invented art collectives, off-beat humor, DIY, and crazy scene-making.
Made in Oak Cliff opens Saturday night at 6 p.m. at Gray Matters Gallery. Alan Peppard of the Dallas News has predicted that it will be “a boldface-name bacchanal.”
also by Paula Newton
- Waltz Across Texas with Frank Stella - July 22nd, 2016
- Finally!!! Cat Art Comes to Dallas - July 21st, 2016
- Study Shows That Art Helps You Grow Up - July 19th, 2016
- Land Art, Renewable Energy, and Aesthetics - July 18th, 2016
- Contemporary Austin Announces Gigantic Artist Prize - July 15th, 2016