Developed to coincide with the DMA’s DallasSITES project, which surveys 50 years of contemporary art in Dallas, the exhibition Made in Oak Cliff features the early ’70s work of the Oak Cliff 5 (sometimes 4) group, who were instrumental in making the DFW area a major art center. It should be a nostalgia-fest for older artists and a historical reminder to young artists that they actually may not have invented art collectives, off-beat humor, DIY, and crazy scene-making.
Made in Oak Cliff opens Saturday night at 6 p.m. at Gray Matters Gallery. Alan Peppard of the Dallas News has predicted that it will be “a boldface-name bacchanal.”
also by Paula Newton
- Rice U’s Moody Center is Almost Reality! - February 23rd, 2017
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017
- SXSE: Beaumont Is a Boomtown of Film & Music - February 17th, 2017