Developed to coincide with the DMA’s DallasSITES project, which surveys 50 years of contemporary art in Dallas, the exhibition Made in Oak Cliff features the early ’70s work of the Oak Cliff 5 (sometimes 4) group, who were instrumental in making the DFW area a major art center. It should be a nostalgia-fest for older artists and a historical reminder to young artists that they actually may not have invented art collectives, off-beat humor, DIY, and crazy scene-making.
Made in Oak Cliff opens Saturday night at 6 p.m. at Gray Matters Gallery. Alan Peppard of the Dallas News has predicted that it will be “a boldface-name bacchanal.”
also by Paula Newton
- Learn to Paint Like Van Gogh! Or Watch the Artists Who Did - May 31st, 2016
- Cruz Ortiz Selected as Artist for TX Dem Convention - May 30th, 2016
- Memorial Weekend: Oragami, Peace, and Granted Wishes! - May 27th, 2016
- More Projected Art! This Time in Dallas - May 26th, 2016
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016