Developed to coincide with the DMA’s DallasSITES project, which surveys 50 years of contemporary art in Dallas, the exhibition Made in Oak Cliff features the early ’70s work of the Oak Cliff 5 (sometimes 4) group, who were instrumental in making the DFW area a major art center. It should be a nostalgia-fest for older artists and a historical reminder to young artists that they actually may not have invented art collectives, off-beat humor, DIY, and crazy scene-making.
Made in Oak Cliff opens Saturday night at 6 p.m. at Gray Matters Gallery. Alan Peppard of the Dallas News has predicted that it will be “a boldface-name bacchanal.”
also by Paula Newton
- Rauschenberg Foundation Expands SEED Program to Include Houston and Two Groups Win Big! - August 24th, 2016
- Houston Fringe Fest Returns! - August 23rd, 2016
- New Rules! Lawndale Mixes It Up For This Year’s Retablo Show - August 22nd, 2016
- El Paso Artist Opens His Kosher Taco Art Project For One Night - August 19th, 2016
- The Last Ten Days of Austin’s Changarrito Project - August 18th, 2016