Developed to coincide with the DMA’s DallasSITES project, which surveys 50 years of contemporary art in Dallas, the exhibition Made in Oak Cliff features the early ’70s work of the Oak Cliff 5 (sometimes 4) group, who were instrumental in making the DFW area a major art center. It should be a nostalgia-fest for older artists and a historical reminder to young artists that they actually may not have invented art collectives, off-beat humor, DIY, and crazy scene-making.
Made in Oak Cliff opens Saturday night at 6 p.m. at Gray Matters Gallery. Alan Peppard of the Dallas News has predicted that it will be “a boldface-name bacchanal.”
also by Paula Newton
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017
- Phillip Johnson and "Kitty Porn" - January 10th, 2017
- Houston Curator Receives Warhol Foundation Grant - January 9th, 2017