YES, everyone is excited that tomorrow is National Macaroon Day, but the Texas-French Alliance for the Arts (TFAA) is trying to turn it into a whole three-day weekend thing!
This Sunday, they will be holding a macaroon-judging fundraiser to support the OPEN THE DOOR Houston project. This spring, the TFAA and the Paris art collective, 9eme Concept initiated a public art project called OPEN THE DOOR. A bunch of Texan and French artists created works on doors, which were then displayed at pubic sites throughout the Houston area. Local artists included Tierney Malone, Daniel Anguilu, Gonzo247, and Rahul Mitra.
Using the door as a metaphor for opening up intercultural understanding is clear enough, but we’re not quite sure where the macaroons fit in. For the record, macaroons are believed to have originated in a 9th century Italian monastery. The doors are pretty cool, though.
also by Paula Newton
- The People Have Spoken: No More Renoir! - October 6th, 2015
- David Adickes Sign Site of Documented Theft - October 5th, 2015
- It’s National Spinning and Weaving Week! - October 2nd, 2015
- A Public Memorial and Tribute to Jesús Moroles - October 1st, 2015
- First it was Bernie Sanders, Now it’s Art League Houston! - September 30th, 2015