There seems to be a recent interest in Turkish film, as proven by the recent inaugural Turkish Film Festival at the MFAH, and now Austin’s Experimental Response Cinema (ERC) is bringing the experimental version to town tonight. And, as fewer and fewer experimental works are being made in the now-classic format of 35mm film, ERC will treat Austinites to some big screen weirdness in a couple weeks.
ERC has teamed up with AMOA-Arthouse to present Küçük Sinemalar! Experimental Cinema from Turkey. The free program starts at 7pm tonight at AMOA-Arthouse at the Jones Center.
ERC is a collective of avante-garde film and video artists devoted to bringing experimental cinema to Austin. Küçük Sinemalar is an informal group from Istanbul fromed “to share and encourage moving image works that do not fit within strict boundary conceptions of either video art or traditional cinema.” The program was curated by ERC’s Ekrem Serdar, who will be present at the screening.
OK, NOT LITERALLY TOMORROW, BUT JUNE 1st: 35MM FILMS
ERC will partner with the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz to present a rare screening of classic and contemporary experimental works by Christina Battle, Louise Bourque, Stan Brakhage, Siegfried A. Fruhauf, Lawrence Jordan, Chris Kennedy, Peter Kubelka, Kerry Laitala, Pat O’Neill, and Peter Tscherkassky. The program will take place on Saturday, June 1, at 1 pm at the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz. Admission is $10 or an ERC pass.
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017