After it became known that the Walt Disney Company, in conjunction with an upcoming Pixar feature, had quietly filed several trademark applications for the term “Dia de los Muertos,” social media went crazy. Disney has since withdrawn their applications, thus averting a throwdown between Disney execs and the staff at Lawndale Art Center, who have been celebrating the November holiday for over 25 years.
also by Paula Newton
- Filmmaker Jonathan Demme, 1944-2017 - April 27th, 2017
- What They Don’t Teach You in Art School - April 26th, 2017
- University Art Students: Sell Your Work On New Online Platform - April 25th, 2017
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017