After it became known that the Walt Disney Company, in conjunction with an upcoming Pixar feature, had quietly filed several trademark applications for the term “Dia de los Muertos,” social media went crazy. Disney has since withdrawn their applications, thus averting a throwdown between Disney execs and the staff at Lawndale Art Center, who have been celebrating the November holiday for over 25 years.
also by Paula Newton
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016
- It May Be Too Late, but this Group is Set to Save East Austin Art - September 22nd, 2016
- Check out Islamic Art in Houston! - September 20th, 2016
- Performance Art: Could be Awful, Could be Fantastic - September 19th, 2016