After it became known that the Walt Disney Company, in conjunction with an upcoming Pixar feature, had quietly filed several trademark applications for the term “Dia de los Muertos,” social media went crazy. Disney has since withdrawn their applications, thus averting a throwdown between Disney execs and the staff at Lawndale Art Center, who have been celebrating the November holiday for over 25 years.
also by Paula Newton
- Texas Film Director Creates PSA Against Bathroom Bill - February 27th, 2017
- West Texas Landmarks Vandalized! - February 24th, 2017
- Rice U’s Moody Center is Almost Reality! - February 23rd, 2017
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017