After it became known that the Walt Disney Company, in conjunction with an upcoming Pixar feature, had quietly filed several trademark applications for the term “Dia de los Muertos,” social media went crazy. Disney has since withdrawn their applications, thus averting a throwdown between Disney execs and the staff at Lawndale Art Center, who have been celebrating the November holiday for over 25 years.
also by Paula Newton
- Dead Dog’s Eyeballs! There’s a New Graphic Bio on Daniel Johnston - July 28th, 2016
- Where is Ana Mendieta? In Dallas! - July 27th, 2016
- Houston Artists! Get Ready for Art Market Season - July 26th, 2016
- Punk Out at the CAMH with the Mydolls - July 25th, 2016
- Waltz Across Texas with Frank Stella - July 22nd, 2016