After it became known that the Walt Disney Company, in conjunction with an upcoming Pixar feature, had quietly filed several trademark applications for the term “Dia de los Muertos,” social media went crazy. Disney has since withdrawn their applications, thus averting a throwdown between Disney execs and the staff at Lawndale Art Center, who have been celebrating the November holiday for over 25 years.
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Art Fair Loses a Word and Gains an Attitude - May 4th, 2016
- Fire at SA’s Casa Chuck! - May 3rd, 2016
- Houston Artist Padaric Kolander Wins 2016 Hunting Art Prize - May 2nd, 2016
- Bayou City Art Festival is Going to be a Soggy One - April 29th, 2016
- Learn to Paint Like the President. Maybe Better. - April 28th, 2016