Dean Ruck and Dan Havel’s popular 2005 architectural intervention, Inversion, has been pirated by admakers for Honda, according to a lawsuit the Houston artists filed last week. The ad, titled “Leap” shows a man driving a new Honda CR-V thorugh a magical portal that opens in a wooden house, inspired by the artist’s transformation of the Houston Art League’s old buildings on Montrose Blvd. Although the ad’s producers, UK-based Rogue Productions, cleared the project with the Houston artists last year, Havel and Ruck, seeing the literalness of the ad’s reproduction of their idea, are suing for more compensation.
Let’s hope Patrick Renner, the sculptor currently building “Funnel Tunnel”, an Inversion-inspired public art piece near the site of the original, has got his permissions in writing!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015