The Austin Film Society in conjunction with Alamo Drafthouse will host trailblazing American filmmaker James Benning (b. 1942) for in-person presentations of four of his films on April 6-8. A single Benning work is a marvel to behold, and typically seeing one entails a pilgrimage elsewhere, so having the California-based artist right here in our midst is a rare opportunity. Having not seen these particular films, I am personally anticipating (what I imagine to be) how viewing Ten Skies one day and the war the next will deepen my understanding of the filmmaker’s moods and obsessions, his life of solitude and his living in the world. Richard Linklater (of Slacker fame) will introduce and conduct Q&A for Saturday’s films. Complete program and tickets here.
also by Caroline Koebel
- Large-Scale: Experimental Films on 35mm - July 19th, 2013
- How to Cure World Blindness: An Interview with Joel Ross and Jason Creps - June 23rd, 2013
- Parallel Practices: Joan Jonas & Gina Pane - June 8th, 2013
- Three Works by Roman Signer at Rice U's Video Cubicle - May 29th, 2013
- Decoding the Unabomber: Stemple Pass by James Benning - April 18th, 2013