With newsy artworld tidbits slowing to their usual weekend trickle, the potential merger between the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and the critically acclaimed but financially unsound Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art has set the internet art media (that’s us!) buzzing. Here’s a quick guide: LACMA Director Michael Govan sells the idea, LA Times critic Christopher Knight fears a loss of independence, the paper’s Jori Finkel and Mike Boehm lay out the finances of the proposed new mega-museum including a nifty graphic, Artist and ex-MOCA board member John Baldessari likes Michael Govan, Cindy Bernard, the co-founder of MOCA Mobilization, a save-the MOCA org founded back before the Broad takeover in 2008, figures that MOCA hasn’t been independent since 2008 anyway. Happy reading!
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015