On March 7, Douglas Steel, founder of the iE Collective, will be lecturing at UT El Paso’s Rubin Center on the use of LED lighting as “an artistic approach to studying the human brain,” pointing out how “overreliance on the scientific method” had hindered the development of new drugs to treat mental illness. He’s going to demonstate some new lighitng technologies that might be of use to artists.
The iE Collective, is an 18 month old collaboration between a neuroscientist, a piano instructor and performer, a film and video production and storytelling firm, and a ceramic and glass artisan, which describes itself as “a group of individuals with diverse backgrounds who have come together to combine ideas and skills to create dynamic installations, experiences, and performances.” So far the team’s crossover art/design/architecture projects have focused on interactive lighting displays.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015