The Houston art Alliance is looking for an army of volunteers to take part in their upcoming “social art action,” Konstantin Dimopoulos’ Blue Trees, at locations around Houston and Galveston. With the help of local volunteers, Dimopoulos will color the trunks of the large stands of crepe myrtles between Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive at Waugh Drive; the trees at the historic Houston Parks and Recreation Department Gragg Building; and a solitary tree at the Houston Arts Alliance offices, and trees at Galveston’s at Saengerfest Park with biologically safe, water-based ultramarine mineral pigment. The trees gradually revert back to their natural state over a six-month period.
Installation dates in Houston are March 21 – 23 from 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. individuals can reserve volunteer slots via a novel application of the automated Eventbrite website, normally used to sell tickets. Groups can contact Tommy Gregory, HAA’s Civic Art + Design Coordinator, at 713.527.9330 ext. 120 or Tommy@haatx.com. Would-be Galveston Tree-painters should contact Robin at 409.763.2403 or email@example.com.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015