Yesterday was a big day for venerable Houston alterna-space DiverseWorks. Exactly 30 years ago, on February 7, 1983, DiverseWorks’ inaugural exhibition was presented at Texas Commerce Tower’s 60th floor Sky Lobby, as renovations at 214 Travis (the org’s original home) were underway. The exhibition included works by Artist Advisory Board members Ron Boling, Thelma Coles, Piero Fenci, Kathleen Packlick, and Ben Woitena.
Brush up on your Diverseworks history at The Texas State Historical Commission’s Handbook of Texas Online, or amble over to the Art League Houston, where DiverseWorks’ first programming director, Michael Peranteau, is still doing his thing.
also by Bill Davenport
- Glasstire Hacked! CAMH Artist's Guerilla Post! - August 22nd, 2014
- Moody Foundation Awards $20 million to Rice for New Art Building - February 12th, 2013
- Tejas Englesmith, 1940-2013, Former Whitechapel Curator - February 12th, 2013
- Rachel Hecker Named ALH Texas Artist of the Year 2013, Oliver Given New Lifetime Achievement Award - February 12th, 2013
- An Ethical Alloy: DMA's Anderson Defends The Great Giveback - February 11th, 2013