Austin artist Nick Miller and students in his collaborative mural class at AMOA/Arthouse’s The Art School at Laguna Gloria have finished a new mural at the corner of Congress Ave. and 8th Street in downtown Austin. The bright teal wall piece, highlighting three famous women of Austin, Ladybird Johnson, Janis Joplin, and Clara Driscoll, (former owner of Laguna Gloria, the Art School’s home base) is the second of four walls set for painting at the busy intersection by Miller’s 8th St. Mural Project. The first mural, painted on the same wall in Spring 2012, was bright red, with birds. The fourth and final mural will be a large paint-by-number.
Six students collaborated on overall subject, style, and composition, funded by The Hickory Street Restaurant and through place-making grants from the Downtown Austin Alliance. Miller’s Collaborative Mural Design class will be offered again at The Art School during the spring 2013 semester.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015