This week’s theme was: overwhelming. Many of the artworks and exhibitions I saw were so ambitious and large-scale that I felt consumed by the artist’s vision. In others, it was the artist themselves who let themselves be overwhelmed by the accumulation of their projects or the position they seem to have put themselves in. The effect in both cases was one of a tempered sublime, or perhaps a damaged romanticism. These exhibitions will be up for at least a month, so I hope you get a chance to see these incredible works.
You can follow my art adventures on twitter @RLHooper.
also by Rachel Hooper
- Monopoly: Mike Osborne and Haden Garrett - April 2nd, 2014
- James Turrell: The Light Inside - June 28th, 2013
- Picasso Black and White - March 11th, 2013
- Painters' Painters - February 13th, 2013
- Thirty Seconds: Week of January 27 - February 2nd, 2013