The Third Ward Bike Shop, the original program of Workshop Houston, begun ten years ago by social entrepreneurs Seth Capron, Katy Goodman, Benjamin Mason, and Zach Moser, has been spun off. The bike shop is moving from Workshop Houstons space at 3615 Sauer St. to a new home in the compound of Dr. Veon McReynolds at 2305 Wheeler Avenue between Dowling Street and Hwy 288, where it will be operating with supervision from long-time volunteer Steve Pedigo.
The Bike Shop began as Workshop Houston’s original program nearly 10 years ago; as the organization grew, the bike shop served as the inspiration for the org’s other youth programs. According to Workshop Houston’s website, “We are making this transition in order to focus on the programs for middle and high school students in the Style Shop, Beat Shop, Chopper Shop and Scholar Shop. With the Bike Shop becoming independent, its programs and the programs of Workshop Houston will be able to make better use of limited time and resources and more effectively serve the community.”
All friends, fans, and strong backs on deck: the big move begins this morning, January 26, at 10 a.m.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015