The Dallas Museum of Art has announced the inaugural DMA Art Ball Graduate Student Prize, sponsored by the Dallas Art Fair. Maxwell L. Anderson (Director, DMA), Frances Colpitt (Chair of Art History, TCU), Annette Lawrence (Professor, UNT), Gabriel Ritter (Assistant Curator of Contemporary Art, DMA), and Jeremy Strick (Director, Nasher Sculpture Center) will select from five to seven grad students from visual arts programs in Texas for cash awards of $1,500. Prize-winning works will be on view at the Art Ball Patron Preview Party, April 3, 2013, and at the opening night of the Dallas Art Fair, April 11, 2013.
The deadline for applications is January 7. Details below, entry form here.
1. Artists must be graduate students (MA, MFA, PhD) of any age enrolled in visual arts programs throughout the state of Texas.
2. Artists must not be formally represented by a commercial gallery or dealer.
3. Eligible mediums include painting, sculpture, works on paper, and photo-based media.
4. Immediate family members of DMA staff or trustees are not eligible to apply.
Application for the DMA Graduate Student Art Ball Prize
Applicants meeting the residency and representation specifications for the prize should submit the following (do NOT staple materials or insert them in binders):
1. Complete application form and image list (use attached form)
2. Submit in CD format no more than six (6) examples of recent work in the form of digital images (in JPEG format, each JPEG not to exceed 2MB). Of these images, note which piece will be donated to the Art Ball auction if you are selected as a prize recipient.
3. Works submitted for display must not exceed the following dimensions or weight:
a. Weight limit: 300 lbs.
b. Dimensions: no larger than 5 x 5 x 5 ft.
4. An up-to-date curriculum vitae
5. Proof of current enrollment in graduate-level (MA, MFA, PhD) visual arts program in the state of Texas. (Copy of valid student ID or other proof of enrollment required.)
6. . All materials must be postmarked by January 7, 2013.
7. Provide self-addressed envelope with adequate postage if you would like your materials returned.
8. The DMA will make delivery arrangements for art that is selected outside of the North Texas region.
Award and Recognition
1. Five to seven artists will be selected.
2. Prize recipients will receive a cash award of $1,500.
3. Prize recipients will donate the artwork selected from their submission to the Art Ball 2013 silent auction.
4. Prior to Art Ball, these works will also be on view at the Art Ball Patron Preview Party and the opening night of the Dallas Art Fair.
Timeline for the DMA Graduate Student Art Ball Prize
1. Application deadline: postmarked by January 7, 2013
2. Prize recipients selected: January 2013
3. Prize recipients notified: late January 2013
4. Selected art on view at Art Ball Patron Preview Party: April 3, 2013
5. Selected art on view at Dallas Art Fair: April 11, 2013
6. Selected art auctioned at DMA Art Ball: April 13, 2013
7. Cash award distributed: April 15, 2013
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015