A reinvigorated Art League Houston, under the leadership of newish director Micheal Peranteau, has commissioned a major new public piece by Houston artist Patrick Renner. Funnel Tunnel, a 180 foot long, funky trumpet made from reclaimed lumber will snake down the median on Montrose Blvd, just across the street from the 65 year old arts organization. The temporary piece is the inaugural effort of the Art League’s new Esplanade Project, which aims at placing more pieces on more Montrose medians in the future.
The piece recalls the Art League’s last surge of notoriety, when Inversion, the traffic-stopping vortex created by artist Dan Havel and Dean Ruck in 2005, was part of the Art League’s metamorphosis from a set of ramshackle bungalows to its present modernist building.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015