The Awesome Foundation‘s Houston chapter has awarded a $1000 grant to New Collective Texas, a curatorial partnership comprised of Flournoy and , to create the first of a series of 12 sculptures referencing the Homecoming Mum by Houston artist Matthew Glover.
“Mums are exuberant expressions of hope and goodwill, created by non-trained artists who work outside of the traditional fine art paradigm. They operate as three and four dimensional pieces, layered with multiple ribbons creating a three dimensional sculpture and including sound created by bells and other accessories,” said Frazier.
Flournoy and Frazier, both under 25, belong to first and second generation immigrant families with cultural ties in four continents, are invested in the cultivation of the emerging artists from a variety of backgrounds who utilize a variety of media, and who draw on diverse formal and informal educational experiences. New Collective seeks to provide new insight and more thorough understanding of the work being made in Houston to urban art viewer, as well other audiences.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015