The Art Museum of Southeast Texas in Beaumont has received a $2 million gift. The Wesley W. Washburn M.D. and Lulu L. Smith, M.D. Endowment Fund was established by the couple to ensure that AMSET remains a prominent educational fixture in Southeast Texas. Smith died on March 1, 2011. She was an ardent supporter of AMSET among other local civic and art organizations especially during her tenure on the Beaumont City Council from 1987 – 2007 when she served as City liaison. She practiced medicine in Beaumont until 1984.
“This dynamic duo truly touched the lives of many people through their philanthropic endeavors,” said AMSET Executive Director, Lynn Castle. “Through this generous gift, we hope to continue their lifelong legacy of teaching those around them by expanding our exhibition and educational outreach in Southeast Texas.”
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015