The Art Museum of Southeast Texas in Beaumont has received a $2 million gift. The Wesley W. Washburn M.D. and Lulu L. Smith, M.D. Endowment Fund was established by the couple to ensure that AMSET remains a prominent educational fixture in Southeast Texas. Smith died on March 1, 2011. She was an ardent supporter of AMSET among other local civic and art organizations especially during her tenure on the Beaumont City Council from 1987 – 2007 when she served as City liaison. She practiced medicine in Beaumont until 1984.
“This dynamic duo truly touched the lives of many people through their philanthropic endeavors,” said AMSET Executive Director, Lynn Castle. “Through this generous gift, we hope to continue their lifelong legacy of teaching those around them by expanding our exhibition and educational outreach in Southeast Texas.”
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015