The Business Insider reports on the new, $125 million Islamic art wing at the Louvre in Paris as part of an effort by museums internationally to educate western viewers on Muslim cultures as an antidote to relentless negative news since 9/11. $20 million for the Louvre’s 10-year project came from Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal. Likewise, New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Islamic collection is getting a $40 million facelift.
Last week both the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the Dallas Museum of Art announced significant upgrades in their Islamic art programs.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015