The Rice University Thresher reports that the school’s new James Turrell Skyspace is having some unanticipated conflicts with other uses of the busy campus. Lighting for night-time games on the nearby intramural sports fields was spilling over into the artist’s carefully choreographed light show. Unlike the similar situation in Dallas, where the Nasher Sculpture Center’s Turrell Skyspace has been closed for lack of sky (a less-publicized side effect of the new Museum Tower next door), the university is scrambling to maintain harmony: busy adjusting the lighting fixtures, and sporting schedules and closing the Skyspace on Mondays and Wedmesdays to accomodate intramural sports matches.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015