The Awesome Foundation has arrived in Houston, and they’re handing out money. Here’s how it works: basically, it’s a micro-funding club; ten “trustees” get together, each donating $100 per month. They meet, consider applications from all and sundry and hand $1000 to the awesomest. It’s not just arts- anyone can apply. The Awesome Foundation movement began in Boston and has handed out $286,000 so far among its 52 chapters in other world centers of awesomeness like Chicago, Grand Rapids, Boulder, Oahu, Halifax, and Sydney and Tel Aviv, and the awesomer cities in Texas like Austin and San Antonio. Surely there’s a catch?
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015