Dave Hendricks of The McAllen Monitor recounts the story of Roel Recio, an artist working as a laborer at NIU Urban Living, a furniture store in McAllen, whose concept for a sculptural sign for the store, posted anonymusly on a bulletin board near the staff lounge, was adopted by store owner Jesus Gonzalez and eventually fabricated. Recio, 27, was forced to drop out of South Texas College to support three daughers and a younger brother, but his serendipitous success as a sign designer may enable him to continue his education. And they all lived happily ever after.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015