After 80 years, 16 of Project Row Houses original row houses have shiny new metal roofs, replacing their rusty old ones. Some house families in the Young Mothers Residential Program and others shelter artists projects.
Meanwhile, Hillside Mural, by Austin artist Raul Valdez, which served as the backdrop for the Hillside Theater at the A.B. Cantu Pan-American Recreation Center in Austin, has been restored by it’s creator. Painted in 1978 with the help of East Austin youth, the mural reflects traditional Mexican-American style and heritage, and was originally funded by Comprehensive Employment and Training Act (CETA).
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015