Jack Risley, artist, administrator, and art educator, is the newly appointed Chair of the Department of Art and Art History at UT Austin. Risley was most recently Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). According to UT’s Newsletter, “Risley brings a new era of leadership, promising to take ‘an ambitious step forward’ and to ‘enhance a shared sense of purpose across the department’”.
While at VCU, Risley was known for creating initiatives between programs and supporting innovative faculty and student projects (Colabolabolab, Sponge Space, International Graduate Exhibitions). He was the architect of a complete redesign of the first year foundation program serving nine departments, securing new faculty lines and distilling the curriculum to four core areas: Observation, Surface, Space and Time. He was also known at VCU for his promiscuous use of the color orange.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015