Deborah Velders, Deputy Director of the New Asia Society Texas Center is leaving Houston to take over as director of the Mobile Museum of Art in Alabama. She will begin her duties Sept. 15, according to Allen Oaks, M.D., chairman of Mobile Museum’s board. “We’re very excited to have her,” Oaks says. “She’s extremely knowledgeable about art (and) she knows what she’s doing. She is curatorial, but is very excited to get into the director business.”
Velders came back to Houston, where for more than 15 years she was Head of Exhibitions and Public Programs for The Menil Collection, for her Asia Society job in 2011, resigning from the Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington, N.C., where she was Director and Chief Curator for six years.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015