The venerable Battleship Texas, moored in a cubbyhole off the Houston ship channel is back in action after alarming leaks in her rusty 99-year old hull last week threatened to sink her. Patched with $300,000 worth of aluminum plates (tinfoil compared with the ship’s 12″ thick armor) and epoxy, the temporary patches have allowed the popular tourist attraction to re-open, as she waits for someone, anyone to come up with the estimated $100 million it would cost to permanently dry-dock her.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015