Artist Jonas “Nina” Becker’s meme-friendly combination of quaint photographic technology, van customization, and arts education for neighborhood youth, the Mobile Pinhole Project, has sprawled across the media and the streets of Los Angeles. The Project uses a 1991 Toyota Previa refitted as a giant pinhole camera to bring alterna-tech photographic experiences to kids used to phone cams.
Founded in mid-2011, the project began as a lesson in the new arts microfunding: following a September, 2o11 crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo that raised $1100, the Project won a $1,000 grant for supplies and van repairs from Artist Bailout, via a potluck dinner. In 2012, a series of apparently successful and well-documented workshops led to the project being featured on “All Things Considered” on KCRW radio, and now, on Glasstire!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015