Responding to a dearth of art venues with “a “do-it-yourself” mentality” Abilene painter Bud Clayton has organized what he’s calling “The Big Country’s first “POP UP” Gallery Exhibition” a solo show on July 6th & 7th at Callahan Hall Art and Event Center, 209 South 1st Street in Clyde, Texas. The exhibition will feature Clayton’s latest “abstract expressionist” works on wood, representing the passage of time with textures from distressed concrete, rusted metal and deteriorating paint. The preview is set for July 6 at 3pm and an opening reception for July 7th, 3pm with food provided by Chef Joel Trueblood, from Bonterra Blu, the restaurant next door.
The do-it-yourself thing is apparently a trend in the tiny city (population 3,345) just east of Abilene that has rebranded itself as “Clyde America” and actually boasts two art galleries, two music recording studios, and a handful of professional artists on its official webpage!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015