Louis Grachos, Director of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY has been named as Executive Director of AMOA-Arthouse after seven month search. He’s easing into it: Grachos takes on his new role part time at AMOA-Arthouse on November 1, 2012, and will assume full-time responsibilities on January 1, 2013.
He’ll be missed in Buffalo- news of his departure is full of regretful praise for his work attracting new audiences, making the Albright-Knox more accessible to the average Buffalo citizen by making the idea of going to an art museum a fun thing to do, especially for people with young kids and for the college crowd. In Buffalo he was noted for his energy, in organizing the biennial “Beyond/In Western New York” and “Extreme Abstraction,” but weathered some controversy over his decision to sell some older works to fund contemporary acquisitions.
Grachos previously served as the director of SITE Santa Fe, as curator at the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego, and as both the interim director and curator of exhibitions at the Center for the Fine Arts in Miami.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015