Dallas artist John Wilcox has died, after a long battle with HIV. During the late 80’s Wilcox lived in New York, experiencing firsthand the AIDS epidemic that was consuming the art community, and showed works reacting to that crisis at Barry Whistler Gallery in 2010.
In the same year, Wilcox summed up his life in a video interview with videographer c.j. davis, saying “I’ve had a very fortunate life; I’ve got to live in a lot of great places, had a lot of great opportunities come my way, it’s almost like someone wrote a book, and I’m just reading it. I’m glad I’ve lived on this earth.”
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015