A new mural, or rather an extension of the current one, is underway at Houston’s Lawndale Art Center. Last weekend, Daniel Anguilu, painter of the 2011-2012 “Famous Monsters” mural, began a summer-long collaboration with James Burns, Tierney L. Malone, Angel Quesada, Michael C. Rodriguez, Roland Salda (Sode) and Dandee Warhol to mutate the giant wall painting into something new, scheduled to open on August 24 with the art space’s fall season of exhibitions. Filmmaker Alex Luster, who directed “Stick ’em Up!”, will document the process, which began last weekend with the flinging of buckets of paint over Anguilu’s neat, crystalline cityscape.
On Saturday, June 16, from 6-10p.m., War’Hous Visual Studios will be hosting a benefit exhibition of artwork by the muralists & friends in support of the project, which is also sponsored by Kinzelman Art Consulting.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015