Culturemap’s Joseph Campana reports on his face-to-face tour of some highlights of the MFAH’s collection with newish director Gary Tinterow. It’s one of the few interviews I’ve seen in print with the bespectacled ex-Met curator, and he comes off as a curator still, rather than a corporate CEO (the persona 0f choice for museum directors these days). They discuss a Benin Head, an Olmec Baby, Brancusi, Cezanne, and Tinterow’s teddy bear, but nothing about the MFAH’s expansion plans, the epic upcoming War/Photography show, or the possibility of a Glassell BFA program.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015