Culturemap’s Joseph Campana reports on his face-to-face tour of some highlights of the MFAH’s collection with newish director Gary Tinterow. It’s one of the few interviews I’ve seen in print with the bespectacled ex-Met curator, and he comes off as a curator still, rather than a corporate CEO (the persona 0f choice for museum directors these days). They discuss a Benin Head, an Olmec Baby, Brancusi, Cezanne, and Tinterow’s teddy bear, but nothing about the MFAH’s expansion plans, the epic upcoming War/Photography show, or the possibility of a Glassell BFA program.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015