A quarter century of Art Car parades is over, and Mark “Scrapdaddy” Bradford is still holding the lead, earning this year’s Mayor’s Choice Trophy (and $2000 in prize money) for his amazing walking-car sculpture “Mr. Green”. David Braithwaite’s “Big Banana”, “Low-Rider from Corpus Christie” by The Leal Brothers, “Earth, Wind, and Fire… and Water” by Jefferson Davis High School under the direction of Rebecca Bass, and “The Gold Digger” by John Avanzini each won $1500 first place awards. The rest of the lengthy list of winners in 15 categories (everyone’s really a winner, but only in the skater category does everyone get an award), many of who also got some cash is on the new dedicated Art Car Parade Website.
The Orange Show’s “television partner”, CW39, has spent the past few months creating short segments on the cars and artists which you can view on their website, an hour long special will air next Sunday, May 20 at 6pm on CW39.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015