You’ll have to visit Culturemap to get a report on Friday’s dedication of the new James Turrell skyspace at Rice University. I got Glasstire’s invitation, via email, yesterday (May 9) to the media preview held last Sunday, May 6. Apparently there was also a gala weekend of festivities studded with VIP out of town guests that we missed entirely. Could Rice be sore that we published news of their plan for an ambitious new art building on the site of the hallowed Rice Media Center before they were ready to announce it? Or was it the word “indecipherable” I used in describing the letters in their new Jaume Plensa piece?
Update: According to B.J. Almond at Rice’s Media Relations deparment, the late invite to the media preview was a technical glitch; Glasstire will be getting an invitation to the public opening on June 14. The VIP events Glasstire didn’t hear about were organized by the arts committee, not Media Relations.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015