There’s nothing like dirty laundry to attract publicity, or as Dallas Observer columnist Jim Schutze put it, “nothing takes our minds off this misery we call middle-class survival in America like a rich kids art fight.”
Renzo Piano is reportedly “furious,” Scott Johnson, the architect of the tower’s current form is conciliatory, but insists that it’s not just his problem. Mayor Mike Rawlings, philanthropist DeeDee rose, and Arts District head Veletta Forsythe Lill all put in their two cents. Times reporter Robin Pogrebin reflects on the difficulties of using cultural institutions to drive economic development (when it works!), and speculates that Raymond Nasher is spinning in his grave.
And the article features the best glare picture ever, by Brandon Thibodeaux!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015