The City of Austin Cultural Arts Division has announced that shawn Smith’s Vicious Venue, a sculptural installation of digital vultures made frompainted balsa wood, is the People’s Choice selection from the 2011 People’s Gallery exhibition and has been added to the permanent art collection at City Hall.
Smith’s sculpture depicts three life-sized vultures viciously recycling outdated technology. Two of the vultures devour a rotary telephone, while the third tackles a film canister. Vicious Venue will reside on the 3rd floor of City Hall. This work is the seventh People’s Choice selection since the inception of the People’s Gallery program.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015