Is it the last gasp of artistic desperation? Drawing’s ironic abasement before the god of photography? Or just way to make a little money? Houston artist Whitney Riley is starting a “stay at home mommy business”- building on the popularity of her hand-sketched pet portraits, she’s restyled herself as “The Lone Cupcake-Personal Artist” and is offering to translate photos of friends, family, dogs, babies, etc. into tightly-rendered pencil sketches (by an “actual artist”!) at $100 a pop. The nascent enterprise is in the market research phase right now- take the online survey for a chance to win a free sketch of your own!
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015